• Incidence of Obesity and Diabetes go hand in hand
• Worldwide obesity has more than doubled since 1980.
• In 2008, 1.5 billion adults, 20 and older, were overweight. Of
these over 200 million men and nearly 300 million women were
• Overall, more than one in ten of the world’s adult population was obese.
• In 2010, around 43 million children under five were overweight.
• 65% of the world’s population live in countries where overweight and obesity
kills more people than being underweight.
• Nearly 43 million children under the age of five were overweight in 2010.
• Obesity is preventable.
• At least 2.8 million adults die each year as a result of being overweight or
• 44% of the diabetes burden, 23% of the ischaemic heart disease
burden and between 7% and 41% of certain cancer burdens are
attributable to overweight status and obesity
More information can be had here at the World Health Organization’s Obesity Factsheet. Remember, this is not just diabetes, not just obesity, but diabesity.